Tuesday 19 July 2016

Esther Aliu, creater of this historic pattern, Love Entwined 1790 Marriage Coverlet!

 Love Entwined is such a lovely quilt, thanks to Esther Aliu, for spending years drafting the pattern from a grainy photograph, which appeared in Averil Colby's Patchwork book in the 1950's.  It was a free Block of the Month for eighteen months, if you missed it, you can buy it from her here.
My berries is all stitched down, my focus shifted to the flowers and those little hearts next to the vases.  I discovered LE a while after it started, needless to say, I have started mine and I am savouring every moment.
This is not a journey I want to rush,  part of the joy of this quilt is allowing yourself time to let the quilt show you which colour's should go where.  I knew I had to add two very different yellows, while playing with those little hearts, the yellows found their place.
 This burnt orange, flower, which added a bit of zing to the applique needed a blending in balance, the little hearts and the right shade of a orange peach is just the thing.
 The elements and colours are falling into place.
 The little hearts appliqued in place.
The yellow flowers stitched in place.
 Calla lillies, this one had to get the right shade of cream, this is a piece of fabric, which I used the back of, instead of the front.

Then some berries found their friends.  Only had a strip of this fabric, it was leftover from binding of a quilt a few years back.  A bit was used for the lollipop flowers around the centre.  On two corners is some more berries, this is where the last bit of fabric will be used to create a balance.
As I play with fabric to find where to place some elements, others find their place.  It took a while, which was the frustrating part, now everything are falling into place.
With all the hot weather, even our stream has dried up.  On the river bed, a field of Forget-me-knots have sprouted!



5 comments:

  1. Oh Maggie, your LE is magnificent! I downloaded the patterns during the BOM and really want to make one, but every time I take them out and start looking at them and reading the instructions, I panic and put it away again untouched. I know I will work up the courage eventually. The care you have put into choosing your fabrics and colors is definitely paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. You are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Maggie what a wonderful tutorial on your journey so far on your own Beautiful LE It was so lovely to see another LE growing and you are moving so quickly on it. Love love your colours. Hugs Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your LE is looking gorgeous. I started mine when the BOM began, you inspire me to keep going. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your LE is beautiful! I really like your fabrics, it looks so bright and cheerful. I also downloaded the pattern during the BOM. I don't know if I will ever work up the courage to attempt this quilt, but your quilt has encouraged me. Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete