Tuesday 23 January 2018

Eyes

This is one of those crucial parts, one need to do one's craft. One need them, especially if one want to thread a needle.  It is not a tool, but one's "eyes"!  At first I thought it must be jet lag or just generally being tired. 

However, when I tried to thread the needle on Monday past again, the eye of the needle was just not in view.  After numerous attempts, it was time to accept, my eyes was acting up.  I promptly made an appointment, got my eyes tested and got new glasses.  Amazing how fast it all happened, now I can see again, which is great.

Bargello Quilt.
This year I have finished my nephew's wedding quilt, it is on it's way to the happy couple. 

An old lady once told me, the way we start the new year, is pretty much how the rest of the year will happen.  Old Wife Tales?  Well I was busy gardening on the first day of that year, the whole year I did a lot of gardening. ( The garden did look fantastic!)

It made me wonder?   Over the years however, I have noticed a trend, so now I give it a bit more thought.  Started the year off, by attending a wedding, would you not know it, the next wedding invite arrived promptly in my inbox....

Beanie Hats.
My next start and finish turned out to be another beanie hat. The colour is one the same as I made for a gift at Christmas time, so one of the family saw that bright turquoise one and requested another one in that colour.

The Hertfordshire Quilt.
The Hertfordshire Quilt, got its first round.  Online it emerged that there is a discussion on a error in the pattern.  Last year when I discovered this, I wrote to Carolyn Konig, she wrote back! (Thank you, Carolyn).

The Hertfordshire design in my book printed by Quiltmania needs an alteration on page 178 with two templates.  Imperial templates A2 &A3 need to be both reversed i.e. A2 needs to be A3 template and A3 needs to be A2 template.
The same apply to with both A2 & A3 the metric templates. 
The notes read correctly as does the diagram on page 168. 



My center for this quilt, will not be affected by this part of the pattern, as the fabric for it decided the center for me.  It is a fussy cut floral.  These fabrics was at Quilt Canada 2017, when I saw them, I knew where I wanted to use them.

Making sure everything fits.

Cut the center square the finished size.  This required adding on a border, to create the center.
English paper pieced the triangles, then added the squares and pink borders by machine.

PS: Two of us decided to make this quilt, around the same time last year.  Check out the other here

The wedding quilt, is also coming from Carolyn Konig's book: Creating Heirlooms, One Stitch at a Time. Now it also missed some pattern pieces, which one can get from Quiltmania here.

Now who said lightning does not struck twice?  Two patterns in one book, this book has some amazing patterns in it, which will be keeping me busy for years to come. All of the patterns are complex, so for a gremlin or two, to find their way in there, was no surprise.
The stream is frozen over.  This is what we saw on our walk this week.
January is a busy month for our extended family, with very many Birthdays and Wedding Anniversaries.  Celebrating happy occasions, treasuring every moment, creating new memories.
Happy Birthday!






6 comments:

  1. My goodness you HAVE been busy !!!!!! Lovely blog enjoyed it so much Hugs Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hertfordshire quilt is looking really good, so far. Finding the Way looks insane. Too many hst's for my liking. The cake looks good. Can you send me a slice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful beginning you've made to your Hertfordshire quilt. Yummy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie,
    Lots of newsy news in this post! I had never heard that old wives tale before about how you start the new year. Hmm. I think I was in my sewing room a lot on the 1st - maybe that will mean lots of sewing for me?! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this other quilt in Carolyn's book that you are doing too - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the soft colors you're using for your Hertfordshire quilt, and your piecing is so precise!

    ReplyDelete